It’s not surprising that a lot of people enjoy reading books. Not only are they portals to other worlds but they also widen one’s imagination. These are just a few reasons why it is hard to part with them but when they start taking up space in your home already, you might need to consider de-cluttering your shelves.
Holding a garage sale does the trick but if you’re looking for fun and creative ways to reuse and recycle your hoard of old books, read on.
Ideas for Your Old Books
1. Book Swap
– If you have plenty of old books that are still in good condition but you need to dispose of, why not host a book swap party? Invite your fellow book lovers and swap books with them. You can also wrap your old books with brown paper and give a little hint on what book is underneath the covers so your friends can choose one.
2. Book Christmas Tree
– Old books can be used to make your own Christmas tree. Simply arrange them in a way that resembles a tree, add some lights and decorations and you don’t have to buy a new tree at all. You can also make mini sized trees made from book paper if you’re feeling creative.
3. Book Journal
– Journals come in handy if you want to remember important events or fond memories to go back to whenever you want. However, instead of spending money to buy one, why not make your own journal? Old books can be repurposed by removing the old pages and swapping them with recycled paper. You can decorate the interior in any way you like.
– Give life to your bedroom by replacing the headboard with the spines of old books. They will help make your headboard pop and more interesting to look at compared to traditional designs and you’ll get to repurpose your old books too.
– Another way to repurpose and recycle old books is to use them as scrapbooks. You don’t need to buy boards and paper since the pages of the old book can be used to hold photographs, texts, and other designs.
6. Wall Art
– Old books that clutter your shelves can be transformed into wall art. You can use the pages to make a collage and even use the spines or covers as backing or frame for your new wall décor.
– If you’re lacking shelves at home but have dozens of old books that you’re no longer reading or the pages are in poor condition, why not transform them into shelves? Choose from your old books that have sturdy covers, install L-bars on the wall for support and simply place the old books on the L-bars. You can arrange them in any way you like on your wall for added design.
– You might want to organize your desk while you’re de-cluttering your shelves so you can repurpose old books and transform them into organizers. All you need to do is to remove the pages from the spine, use a board to create sides and partitions and, voila! You can now put your office supplies inside.
– If you’re feeling artsy and you have plenty of time on your hands, you can repurpose or recycle old books by using their pages to create necklaces and earrings. You can also create paper flowers to place in your vases. Other possible craft ideas to do with your old books include table runners, lanterns, envelopes, lamp shades, and even wreaths. With just a little bit of creativity and proper crafting materials and you’re ready to transform your old books into new items.
– Old books that are in good condition can be donated to local libraries, book stores, and even charities. Just because you’re done with them it doesn’t mean that no one can benefit from them anymore. Besides, spreading knowledge is a great way to help others.
These are just a few examples on how you can recycle, repurpose, and reuse your old books. With these ideas, you’ll be able to de-clutter your shelves while at the same time get to do something useful and creative that can even benefit you and others in the long run.