Just organized your drawers and found out you got lots of old socks whose pairs are missing? Don’t throw them away! There are 25 things you could do with them other than stuffing our already jam-packed landfills with them.
1. Use them as chalkboard or whiteboard erasers. While teaching your kids the ABC or various shapes, let them know the importance of recycling too.
2. Your green thumb and your desire to save the planet can go hand in hand simply by using old socks to tie young trees to stakes in order to keep them straight.
3. In case your garden boots are presently out of commission, fret not. Simply wear old socks over your shoes so you may carry out your various gardening tasks without worrying about your footwear.
4. Placing lingerie and other delicates inside socks you no longer use allows you to launder them with utmost peace of mind. Also, it saves you from the need to purchase delicates bag.
5. Check if it’s possible for unused socks to be used as lint catchers for your washing machine or dryer. If they fit, congratulations as you can save cash on purchasing lint bags.
6. When moving from one house to the other, place small and fragile objects such as figurines and Christmas tree ornaments inside small socks to save them from damage during the transfer.
7. Get rid of bad odor inside the fridge, closet and other enclosed spaces by placing a cup or two of baking soda inside an old sock and stashing it in the area you wish to deodorize. Charcoal briquettes may be used in place of baking soda.
8. Fill the toe part with potpourri and place it in areas you wish to fill with delightful potpourri smell.
9. Place old socks on the legs of furniture you wish to move around to keep them from leaving marks on the floor.
10. Make a fun toy for your feline friend by filling an old sock with catnip and tying the open end.
11. Keep your dog busy by placing a tennis ball inside a sock or simply trying two or more old socks together.
12. Shield your tiny furry pal from the freezing weather by cutting off the toe end of a big tube sock and sliding it into the little dog’s trunk.
13. When winter strikes, keep the cold at bay by making leg or arm warmers out of old socks. Simply grab a couple of long socks no longer being used, snip off the toe parts and slide them into your legs or arms.
14. Come up with your own foot sole massager by placing some ping pong balls into a pair of old socks and tying the lose ends. Sit back, place a foot on each one, and roll the socks with your feet back and forth. Heaven!
15. If you’re into needlework, make a one-of-a-kind quilt out of the good parts of old socks cut into patches.
16. Cut up old tube socks into long strips and weave them to come up with rugs, doormats, potholders, placemats, etc. Use whites and colored socks to produce with an assortment of eye-catching patterns.
17. Whipping up sock puppets for your kids is a wonderful idea. This also allows you to use other recyclable materials such as buttons and yarns as decorative elements to make your sock puppets rock.
18. Use old socks for dusting furnishings and home decors. You may also wear one as a glove to protect your hand while making your home sparkling clean.
19. Slide an old sock over one end of a long stick or rod. Secure with a string or twist tie and use it to dust hard-to-reach places like over high shelves or under the fridge or couch.
20. Place slivers of soap inside an unused sock and tie the loose end. Ta-dah! You have a foaming body scrub while taking a shower or bath.
21. Wear unused socks over your shoes to shield them from paint splatters while having a DIY wall repainting project.
22. Got painful and swollen joint and you’re on the hunt for a quick relief from pain? Stuff some ice cubes into an old sock and use it as a makeshift ice pack to deal with the aching and inflammation.
23. Cut a 5 to 6-inch tube off an old sock and use it as an insulator for your hot coffee tumbler or ice-cold soda can.
24. Make a fashion statement by wearing fingerless mittens. Snip off the toes of old socks and make a small hole on each one for your thumbs.
25. Express yourself by wearing mismatched socks. Pull it off by adding a dash of self-confidence.