The summer season means contending with rising temperatures and one of the best ways to cool down is to have some watermelon. Aside from making you feel refreshed, watermelon has plenty of health benefits that only a handful knows about it. The best time to eat this fruit is during the summer when it is in season so why not get some the next time you buy from your local market or grocery?
If you want more reasons why you should eat watermelon, here are some that are worth mentioning.
- Reduce blood pressure. Watermelon contains high amounts of potassium as well as magnesium which aid in reducing blood pressure. Potassium is a known vasodilator which helps relieve tension from the arteries as well as blood vessels. What’s more, watermelon contains carotenoids which prevent the walls of your arteries from hardening which is a plus as it saves you from suffering from blood clot and the like.
- Minimize body fat. Another reason why eating or drinking watermelon is a good idea is because of the presence of citrulline which prevents fat accumulation. Citrulline is a type of amino acid that is transformed into arginine by the kidneys. This in turn blocks the fat cells from creating more fat in our body hence minimizing the amount of fat that we have.
- Diuretic and provides support to the kidneys. Eating watermelon is considered to be a natural diuretic which aids in increasing the flow of your urine without having to strain your kidneys. What’s more, this fruit helps the liver process the ammonia in your digestive system to aid the kidneys while getting rid of any excess fluids.
- Healthy heart. Why should you eat more watermelon? Well, it contains plenty of lycopene which is found to be good for the heart. It also has beta-carotene which is well-known for its anti-aging properties as well as antioxidants not to mention protect you against cardiac problems that are related to age. Add to this the fact that watermelon contains magnesium and potassium and you know you’ll be helping your heart stay healthy as you age.
- Support for muscles and nerves. Potassium-rich watermelon is also considered as a natural electrolyte which helps regulate muscle and nerve action. This mineral is the one responsible for determining the frequency of muscle contraction and nerve excitation.
- Better eye health. Here’s another health benefit that you can get from eating watermelon, having good eyesight. One reason behind this is that the watermelon contains plenty of beta-carotene which is transformed into vitamin A. The vitamin A is the one responsible for the pigmentation in your eyes while providing protection against night blindness and macular degeneration. Other benefits of having more vitamin A in your system include healthier teeth, skin, mucus membranes, soft tissue, and skeletal system.
- Assists diabetics. There are many diabetics who often complain that they are starving because of their restricted diet but the good news is that eating watermelons can actually be a good supplement for them to get the nutrients that they need. Although watermelons are sweet they are low in calories because 90% of it is mostly water. Also, the presence of magnesium and potassium are also contributing to regulating insulin production which is important for those with diabetes.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why you should add watermelons to your diet. With its numerous health benefits, there is simply no reason why it shouldn’t be your fruit choice particularly during the summer when they are fresh and tastier than before. Add them to your desert if you like or eat it as is depending on your preference.