A lot of people are now switching to olive oil in the kitchen not just for salad making but also cooking various dishes as well. The beauty of olive oil is that researchers are finding new health benefits associated with this wonder oil almost every day so for those who are still wondering why olive oil is being touted as one of the best oils to use for your overall health, here are a few benefits that you should take into consideration.
- It reduces risk of acquiring Type 2 diabetes. Most of the time, experts recommend that you go for a low-fat diet in order to prevent diabetes as well as heart disease. However, even though there are studies showing that high fat diets can actually increase your risk of acquiring diabetes and cancer, it seems that the type of diet that you are consuming plays a significant role on how high your risk is. Surprisingly, monounsaturated fat, which is plenty in olive oil is actually useful when it comes to preventing chronic disease including type 2 diabetes.
- It keeps your heart young. Another health benefit that is associated with olive oil is the fact that it can actually help slow down your heart’s aging. It’s true that your heart undergoes the same aging process as you. The arteries can deteriorate which can cause several heart problems. Going on a diet that contains plenty of olive oil, on the other hand, can reverse the aging process and may help sustain the overall health of your heart.
- Reduce risk of depression. Most health benefits that are associated with olive oil are related to the physical aspect but what about emotions? One study shows that a diet that contains olive oil can actually help reduce your risk of suffering from depression especially when you combine this oil with the polyunsaturated fats found in fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Reduce risk of Alzheimer’s. Another benefit that you can get from olive oil is reducing your risk of Alzheimer’s. This is due to the oleocanthal that is present in olive oil that is found to be effective in reducing one’s risk of acquiring Alzheimer’s and the decline of the brain. Also, the polyphenols that are present in olive oil can help reverse the damage caused by oxidation that is present during the aging process.
- Prevents skin cancer. What else can you gain from using olive oil? One study shows that the constant use of olive oil can prevent the present of malignant melanoma which is one of the most dangerous kinds of cancer of the skin. Thanks to the antioxidants found in olive oil, your body is receiving protection against this particular skin problem. Although applying sunscreen is still highly recommended when it comes to preventing skin damage, adding a diet that uses olive oil can also be good for you when it comes to protecting your skin.
- Combats osteoporosis. Olive oil is also useful when it comes to combating osteoporosis or the decrease of your bone mass. When there is a decline in bone mass, you will be more prone to broken bones and fractures even with the slightest of bumps or knocks. Although you will need more help in strengthening and increasing your bone mass, getting olive oil supplements can benefit you as well.
These are just a few reasons why olive oil is worth adding to your pantry. Aside from making your dishes healthier and more flavorful, olive oil is packed with useful nutrients that are not only good for your body but for your mental health as well.