Most of the common digestion problems are related to dyspepsia, or indigestion. This is due to a problem in the secretion of the stomach’s digestive juices. The acid levels of the stomach are either too low or too high. This then leads symptoms such as heartburn, bloating, belching, and nausea. Acid reflux is another discomforting problem that causes a burning sensation in the chest and stomach when the acid irritates the lining of the stomach and reaches the esophagus.
Overeating or eating spicy or oily foods may be the cause of the digestion problems you’re experiencing. However, there are instances when these problems come without a certain cause. Here are some natural ways you can treat your digestion problems right at your own home.
1. Ginger – For Indigestion and Flatulence
Ginger is perhaps the most promising natural ingredient when it comes to treating the symptoms of digestive problems. It is a traditional cure for indigestion and flatulence. Ginger can stimulate the production of saliva, bile juices, and gastric juices which play important roles in digestion. Simply make a strong ginger tea by boiling some fresh ginger root, or add grated ginger to your dish.
2. Peanut Butter – For Diarrhea
Although peanut butter may seem like a rather simple dish, it can actually help diarrhea. Peanut butter, and other protein-rich food, can help solidify stool.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar – For Indigestion
Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature but it has an alkalizing effect on your stomach which can soothe indigestion. Simply add a tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a cup of water, mix in one teaspoon of honey, and drink the mixture two to three times a day.
4. Fennel seeds – For Indigestion and Gas
Fennel seeds are great for controlling gas or flatulence and reducing nausea due to the volatile oils it contain. It can also relieve the symptoms of indigestion caused by consumption of spicy or oily and fatty foods. Make a tea out of fennel seeds by steeping two teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds in a cup of hot water. Alternatively, you can take half a teaspoon of powdered fennel seeds coupled with water twice a day or simply chew on fennel seeds directly.
5. Lemon – For Indigestion
Lemon is one of the easiest and most accessible ways to promote healthy digestion. In fact, the recommended method of consuming water is by mixing in a squeeze of lemon juice in order to help proper digestion especially before meals. It promotes digestion by stimulating the production of bile juices and is best taken first thing in the morning. Mixing lemon juice with warm water is a great remedy for relieving the symptoms of indigestion including heartburn, nausea, and belching.
1. Regular exercise. Constant body movement can regulate digestion and prevent digestive problems. Incorporate a few minutes of exercise in your daily routine and feel the difference immediately.
2. Detoxification. Excess toxins are a possible cause for various digestive problems. Especially for those who constantly get digestive problems, detoxification is a recommended remedy. There are numerous ways to detoxify your body. Look into following a detoxification program in order to boost your digestion.
3. Eating habits. Your eating habits can contribute to several problems in digestion. For instance, overeating is best avoided to prevent indigestion. It is actually alright to eat more than you should but only if you’ve prepared your stomach for it. Drink a glass of warm water with lemon juice before eating. Eat in a relaxed atmosphere and chew your food properly before swallowing. Concentrate on eating. Avoid watching television or scrolling through your smartphone during meals.
4. Handle stress. Believe it or not, stress can be the cause of your digestive problems such as diarrhea. Find a way to relieve your stress by handling what’s causing it or through therapeutic means. Once you’ve de-stressed yourself, you might find yourself free from any digestion problems.
5. Probiotic Bacteria. There are foods available in your local grocery, such as yogurt and milk, which have been enriched with probiotics. Probiotic bacteria greatly improve digestion. If need be, consider purchasing a supplement instead.