Even after years of research and study, the planet Earth still remains a mystery in many aspects. The animal world, for instance, is still thoroughly studied until now and more discoveries are still being made. Some of these discoveries are subtle, but nonetheless interesting. There are many things about animals that you probably still don’t know of. Most of these things will surely amaze you. Here are some of the many animal facts that will blow your mind.
1. There was a study conducted about the effect of music to the amount of milk that cows produce. The study shows that cows produce more milk when they’re listening to soothing music. The cows produced the most milk when they listened to Everybody Hurts by R.E.M.
2. Kangaroos’ tails help them balance. They can’t hop if you lift their tails off the ground.
3. Some relatively aquatic creatures such as turtles, water snakes, dolphins, whales, crocodiles, and alligators can drown if they stay submerged in water for too long.
4. There is a species of jellyfish called Turritopsis nutricula which is believed to have the ability to infinitely regenerate its cells. This means it’s immortal, unless preyed on by predators.
5. Horses can communicate with each other using facial expressions.
6. Sea otters hold each other’s hand (or paw) when they sleep so that they won’t drift apart.
7. Octopuses have three hearts.
8. Ants don’t have lungs and they never sleep.
9. Houseflies have an extremely short lifespan of only 14 days. Houseflies hum in the key of F.
10. Thousands of trees grow each year thanks to squirrels forgetting where they hid or stored their acorns.
11. Squirrels cannot burp or vomit.
12. Butterflies have the ability to taste with their feet.
13. There are extremely durable microscopic animals all over Earth called Tardigrades. They can survive at a temperature as cold as -272°C (-458°F) and as hot as 149°C (300°F), at a pressure six times stronger than the pressure at the ocean floor, at the vacuum of space, and more than a decade without food.
14. A male Gentoo penguin will propose to a female by presenting her with the smoothest and most perfect pebble he can find. If the female Gentoo accepts the proposal, she will place the pebble in her nest and they will become mates for life.
15. Flamingos can only eat with their upside down.
16. Ostriches can run faster than horses and male ostriches can roar like lions.
17. Turtles have the ability to breathe through their butt.
18. When they’re playing with female puppies, male puppies often let the female win in order to get to know them better even though they have the physical advantage.
19. Reindeer eyeballs turn blue during winter since it helps them see better through the winter’s dim light.
20. Keeping a goldfish in a dark room will make it lose its colour since it needs light to retain its pigments.
21. The stripes of each tiger are unique from one another, much like the fingerprints of human beings. The stripes can also be found on their skin, not just their fur.
22. Dolphins have names for each other.
23. Sea horses are one of the monogamous creatures on Earth, meaning they have a single mate for their entire life. Sea horse life mates travel by holding each other’s tails.
24. There’s an extinct colossus penguin that was as tall as LeBron James.
25. Lions in the wild usually make no more than twenty kills a year.
26. Fleas can jump up to 200 times their height.
27. Oysters have the ability to change their gender, depending on which would be best for mating.
28. Worms can communicate by snuggling.
29. Owls have eye tubes instead of eye balls.
30. There are only three mammals that undergo menopause: elephants, humpback whales, and human females.