Most of us take a dip in the pool or head to the beach for a much needed R and R and since we are living in a world where it’s easy to preserve memories, for sure we have our phones or cameras with us when we travel. Nowadays, underwater photography is becoming a trend with many investing on underwater cameras to capture priceless shots of the sea. But did you know that your iPhone can take some awesome shots? Yes, it is possible to bring your beloved iPhone under water and here are a few tips that can help you get those awesome underwater scenes to show off.
- Waterproof first. If you plan on taking or testing your iPhone with you the next time you swim or dive, make sure that your gadget is properly waterproofed. Salt water can destroy your phone so see to it that the casing that you’re going to purchase will seal your device properly and that it will last for a long time. Prices range from $30 and up so make sure that you choose the right one for your budget.
- Lighting. Lighting is everything when it comes to taking pictures underwater as the quality of light depends on the amount of sunlight that can pierce the depths of the pool or the sea. If you want to take clearer pictures, take photos during the afternoon when the sun is at its brightest. You should also take pictures closer to the surface since there will be enough light and you can play with the shadows too. You can invest on flashes too if you like to be used when the lighting isn’t enough to get details in your iPhone.
- Close in on your subject. The problem with taking photos using your iPhone is that you might not get enough details especially when the subject is a bit farther away from you. If you can, go closer before snapping a photo to capture details that will make your picture a more interesting piece to look at.
- Experiment with your lenses. The iPhone has different camera settings that you can play with before diving into the water. Play with the settings and see which one can yield unique shots that you can edit once you are back on dry land.
- Have patience. As much as you would like to take photos at random, it pays to exercise patience with your shots. You will find that timing your shots can produce those one-of-a-kind photos that you can show off to your family and friends.
- Know your surroundings. Underwater photography is fun to do but without knowing your environment, you may not get the most out of this experience. Experts recommend that you learn where you will be swimming first such as in the pool, lake, or sea. This will give you an idea on whether your iPhone can handle the depths. Also, this will give you an idea on what subjects to expect so you can easily focus on them to capture those amazing photos.
With these tips in mind, it won’t be long before you get to produce high quality underwater shots using your iPhone. Just make sure that you secure your gadget first so that it will not get damaged when you bring it with you when you swim. Play with your phone’s camera settings and be creative with your shots. You can always edit your photos afterwards. While you’re underwater, visualize how you want your photos to appear so you can take steps to achieve them.