Confidence is not something that can be easily learned by following a series of steps. It is not something that can be taught. The only way you can improve your self-confidence and self-esteem is by changing the way you think and the way you see the world. Although it doesn’t seem like much, building self-confidence is very hard for a lot of people. It’s very important to have self-confidence because it serves as your key to a successful life. It keeps you from being held back by doubts or by fear and it will keep you moving forward.
Though the two terms may seem alike and are interconnected, self-confidence and self-esteem are two different things. Self-confidence is feeling sure of your ability to efficiently perform your role, function, and tasks. Self-esteem is the way you feel about yourself. If you want to get ahead in life, you must learn to build both of these in you. To start off, here are ten simple ways you can build up and boost your self-confidence.
1. Groom yourself. It may not seem like much but grooming yourself regularly can significantly improve your self-confidence. After all, you will only begin to feel secure about the things you do if you are confident of your self-image. Shave or do your hair and wear nice clothes and perfume. You’ll find comfort in the act of doing something good for yourself which can be noticed by other people.
2. Cut off negative ties. The only way you can feel good is if you surround yourself with positivity. Don’t endure the people who always put you down and make you feel worse about yourself and the things you do. If you have to, cut off people who bring nothing but negativity to your life.
3. Never stop learning. Although it seems like too much of a task, even simple ways to gain knowledge can make you feel smarter and more confident with the things you do. Take simple classes and enjoy it. There’s also an easy and free way you can get access to thousands of new information—the Internet. Now you have absolutely no excuse to stop learning.
4. Improve your posture. Research suggests that keeping your back straight especially when you’re sitting down can improve your self-esteem and self-confidence. Having a good posture can improve your mood so it’s no surprise if a good posture can make you feel more assured with your tasks and yourself.
5. Be generous. Sharing your blessings is one way to improve your self-confidence. Soon you’ll find comfort in the act of sharing what you have to those in need. This makes you feel good about yourself and it gives you assurance to the daily tasks you need to accomplish.
6. Workout. Hitting the gym or exercising even for just a few hours each day has a physiological effect on your body that improves your mood and thereby, your self-confidence. Also, if you feel good about the way you look, you’ll have more confidence in accomplishing your daily tasks.
7. Listen to music. Music has a therapeutic effect on your body that allows you to de-stress and get rid of negative thoughts. For the best results, choose lively, heavy-bass songs that would leave you feeling powerful and feeling ready for the day.
8. Be prepared. You’ll feel more assurance with the things you have to do if you’ve prepared for it. Knowing that you have enough knowledge to accomplish your tasks will keep you from being too scared to conquer it. Visualize everything you have to do and prepare whatever needs preparing. This would make you feel more comfortable and confident as you go about your tasks.
9. Stand by your principles. Don’t just go with the flow, follow your own principles. You don’t have to do things that are against the rules you stand by. Knowing where you stand and keeping your feet firmly in place will keep you confident about yourself in the long run even though it’s hard to do at first.
10. Socialize. Have a conversation with people you don’t know and always try to make new friends. It will keep you happy and boost your self-confidence.