Old bookcases may have outlived their purpose in your home but before you decide to throw it away or use the wood for kindling, you might want to check if they can be repurposed into something new. With households throwing away old furniture even those that are still in good condition, many dumpsites are already overflowing. If you want to give new life to your old bookcase, here are some creative ideas that you can do if you have time to spare.
- Fabric storage. If you don’t have enough space to store your fabric, turn an old bookcase on its side. Add some fabric board to create shelves and you now have extra storage space to use.
- Garden container. Another smart idea when it comes to repurposing your old bookcase is to put it outdoors where you can convert it into a garden container if you like. You can create a raised bed with it or plant ornamental plants whichever you prefer.
- Desk. For those who are handy with power tools and have some experience in DIY, converting an old bookcase into a desk is good project to consider. You can start by disassembling your current bookcase if it is a stand-alone unit so you can choose the best pieces for it. You can create a desk out of it as long as you have the feet and the flat surface. If you are feeling creative, you can add drawers too for additional storage.
- Reading bench. Here’s another idea on what you can do with your old bookcase. You can lie it on its side then secure the top portion to carry heavy weights. Install cushions for the seat and voila! You have a reading bench for your kid to try out. You can also use the bottom part as extra storage by adding fabric board to hold the books.
- Bar station. If you’ve been dreaming about having your own bar station, this is the perfect time to get it done. Convert your old bookcase into a bar station by adding racks to hold wine bottles and glasses so you can easily get what you need. You can remove the lower shelves if you like to add a small refrigerator to chill wine and make some ice.
- Kitchen island. Who would have thought that you can create a kitchen island out of your old bookcase? If it’s a floor to ceiling kind of bookcase, you can cut it at the height that you want, cover the top portion with a sturdy platform, open the back of the shelf so you can use the shelves to store your pots, pans, and other kitchen utensils.
- Barbie doll house. If you have kids at home converting your old bookcase into a Barbie doll house is a nice project to do. With a little paint and some fun wall stickers, you can dress up your old bookcase into a house for your daughter’s dolls.
- Closet for kids. Another repurposing idea to use for your old bookcase is to convert it into a closet for your kid. Simply remove the lower shelves and add a pole to hang their clothes on. The upper shelves can be used to store your child’s other stuff such as toys, books, and the like.
Who said that your old bookcase won’t be of any use to you? With a little bit of creativity on your part, you will be able to transform it into something new that will be a good addition to your home.