Students don’t really have enough money to spend what with the cost of transportation, the materials they will need for their projects, their personal needs, and food, the allowance that they receive may not be enough. How then will you be able to stretch your allowance so you can meet all your needs?
For students who want to learn how to save money, here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind.
- Borrow books. You don’t really have to buy brand new books when you go to school since you can borrow them from older students or at the library. Some will sell their copies at cheaper prices which you can consider if you need one for your class.
- Bring snacks. Students tend to buy overpriced foods when they’re at school because they’re hungry but if you bring your own snack with you, you will be able to save money while keeping your belly full. Take it one step further by preparing healthy snacks that will replenish your energy fast.
- Shop smart. Another way for you to save money while in school, particularly in college, is to shop smart. Check out the buy one, take one aisles if there are any or shop later in the day or when it’s nearing closing time so you can get lower prices.
- Use public transportation. Take advantage of school buses, or regular buses for your transportation. If you have a bike, use it especially when you’re school is near. Another suggestion would be to car pool with your friends near you so you can simply chip in for the gas.
- Check out campus gym. You don’t really have to pay a lot for a gym membership just to stay fit because you can make do with the campus gym in your school. Utilize your school’s amenities since it will help you save money in the long run.
- Use a prepaid card. Don’t go for credit cards when you’re in school and parents should avoid giving one as well. The best way to learn how to budget is to use prepaid cards because you only get to work with the amount available in your card.
- Skip your vices. Another way to save money is to skip your vices like smoking, drinking, and what not. If you add up all the money that you get to save from your bad habits, you will be able to earn quite a lot of cash to be spent on more useful things.
- Make your own cup of Joe. Going to coffee shops has become a trend these days but their prices are quite high and can eat up your savings. Instead of spending your money buying from Starbucks or any other coffee shops near your school, why not make your own instead?
- Check campus events. What better way to save money while keeping yourself entertained than checking out the latest events in your school? Some will offer movie viewing and the like for their dorm students so this can help you save money in the long run.
- Buy from stores that offer discounts for students. Stores that are near schools often offer discounts for students. You should keep them in mind the next time you need some personal items or school materials.
There are a lot of ways in which you can save money while you are at school. It’s just about making smart choices with your money and knowing when to splurge and when to save. Once you learn how to budget your money, it will be easier to keep your expenses down to a minimum.